SCENE & BE SEEN. NYC has the best nightlife in the country and don’t expect the week leading up to the SuperBowl to be any different. The SuperBowl festivities are only the pre-show to New York Fashion Week that will take place the weeks following and nightclubs plan on showing you a great time. The game is expected to bring 400,000 people to the New York area, with many bars poised to make the Big Apple extra juicy. No matter where you are staying, Times Square to Mid-town to Hoboken, there will be something going on. Most of Hollywood’s hottest will be in attendance. Want to know where they will be? From Shape & Men’s Fitness to GQ to Maxim, you can party with the stars.
"I think it will be the busiest weekend of the past 10 years," said Paul Goldstein, a partner in the Strategic Group, which owns several prestigious nightclubs and restaurants. The parties range from celebrity-only affairs to $100 afternoon brunches. Owners expect the Meatpacking District and the West Village to be packed with long limousines and red carpets.
Here’s the Inside scoop:
- Thursday January 30th: Anheuser-Busch will get the party started. They have transformed a Norwegian cruiseline into the ultra-football destination. Not only will it serve as a hotel, but with 22 bars on board, it’s a guaranteed good time. This massive boat will be a rockin’ on the dock from Thursday to Sunday.
- Friday January 31st: Cipriani will be venue of choice for Shape and Men’s Fitness magazines big bash. This is the first time these publications are getting into the mix and they are doing it up BIG. Music performances by New York natives, include Mary J. Blige, John Legend and Marc Anthony, what’s not to love. With recent covers from Dallas Buyer’s Club Matthew McConaughey, Iron Man’s Robert Downey Jr., and True Blood’s Joe Manganiello, there will be plenty of eye candy, so ladies, come hungry. The Cipriani’s ticket, which includes food, drink, a fashion show and entertainment, won’t come cheap, prices start at $2,500.
- GQ will host a gathering at the Standard Hotel near the High Line. With over 300 celebrities already confirmed to attend, this promises to be quite the sexy party to be at. Style and dress code is strictly enforced, so ladies this is the night you should channel your inner Carrie Bradshaw.
- Feb. 1st, DirecTV is planning two super-sized Super Bowl soirees starting with a beach-themed bash the afternoon following their annual Celebrity Beach Bowl, that will be open to the public. Followed by an invite-only sophisticated celeb-only event that evening.
Other media groups getting into the mix, are Maxim who will hold their perennial party sponsored by Patron Tequila.
Don’t have tickets to the big game, don’t worry, here are some top notch venues to catch your fellow football fanatics.
- TAO Downtown, is bringing in 100-inch TV screens to capture the essence of the fun. (This is the place where a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue costs $800.)
- Dream Downtown, promises to have Super Bowl-themed décor and bringing “to be announced” performers for a Sunset Saturday fest. (To reserve a table, be prepared to shell out some major paper, they cost up to $20,000.)
- Marquee, a tiered electronic dance music club, is bringing in EDM star Tiesto and a floor-to-ceiling LED screen for your viewing pleasure.
For the rest of the activites centered around SuperBowl XLVIII, including “SuperBowl village”, check out www.superbowl.com.
(Check out more of my “Ladies Lounge” piece in several publications in the NY/NJ area during SuperBowl week!)